Friday, September 4, 2015

The Orphans


The day after we arrived to the D.R., we spent the day with a large group of endearing orphans. We did a bible program with them, preformed a puppet show about Noah, made gospel bracelets with them, and shared a meal. Something that caught me by surprise while we were with them, was how much they looked out for one another. The older ones were always helping the younger ones. Those who knew how to do the craft would help the ones who didn’t. I was moved by how closely knit they all seemed, even though many of them came from rough backgrounds. It was like despite the fact that many of them no longer had their own separate biological families, they had all created their own giant family together. They proved to me that to be family, you don’t have to be blood related.
My main responsibility during that time with them, alongside my friend Katie, was to help get some games going. In my head I pictured that game time going perfectly: All the kids would be sitting in a perfect circle in a nice room, eagerly listening and waiting for us to explain to them how to play a fun game. And I would proceed to explain it to them in flawless Spanish. But what happened was NOT at ALL what I was imagining. Instead, envision this: After a few hours of sitting down all morning and evening, listening to bible lessons, making crafts, and eating lunch, about 50 children from a variety of ages let loose their energy and started running around on a large field, yelling and horsing around under a hot sun. And Katie and I trying, though seemingly to be in vain, to get them to play an organized game. And every time I tried to speak Spanish, I would forget a bunch of words and forsake correct grammar all together. Simply put, it was chaotic to me. That was reality in the D.R. And it smacked me right in the face. I really lost confidence in that moment and started to doubt whether I should do anything at all. But then, I felt something inside me prodding me forward, as if the Holy Spirit was nudging me and saying, “Come on Leslie, try.” So I did. And somehow, with my kindergarten level Spanish skills, we got some of the kids to actually participate in a game. And they ENJOYED it. So much so, that they actually wanted to play another game! God used that whole ordeal to show me that if we can just set aside our insecurities, put our trust in Him, and make some effort, we can bring joy into the most chaotic moments.

                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment