Friday, September 4, 2015

My Host Family


When we got to the Dominican Republic, we split into groups of 2 or 3, and were distributed to different homes to be hosted by members of the church we were working with in Santiago. Each host family volunteered to share their homes and take care of us for a few days until VBS week. At first I was thinking, “I hope I don’t intrude on their lives or get in the way or anything.” But when I entered the home of my host family, the Zapatas, I was blown away. They were incredibly kind and generous hosts. They made us feel so welcome and at home. I was most struck with their genuine care and thoughtfulness. They made sure our food was always washed with purified water so we didn’t get sick. They packed a generous lunch for us when we were out working all day. Whenever we needed something, or even just kind of wished for something, they would make it their top priority to get it for us. And I don’t just mean for our physical needs, though those things were met famously. They also cared about our lives. To them, we weren’t just a few bodies to keep alive for a few days. They saw us as people with hearts, minds, and souls. Through their example, they showed me what a difference you can make in a relationship by intentionally reaching out and seeking to connect.  I remember one night specifically, we were sitting on the rooftop of their house, and they wanted to know all about our lives. Like what we wanted to be in the future, what our lives in the U.S. were like, what our interests were. They genuinely wanted to connect with us. It made me feel loved, and showed me what it truly means when the Bible says to love your neighbor as yourself. And now I feel like I’m a part of another family who lives in the Dominican Republic, and that I left part of my heart with them.


 
The couple in the middle and their daughter in the blue dress are the Zapatas.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment